KDE and purging MySQL (why not to do it...)

So, more or less once every two years I simply decide that my life is not complicated enough and that it's time to mess with my laptop again.
Once I formatted my "Home" partition (don't ask why... why do you want to know why?!?), once I decided that it was time to try some new graphic drivers (nice to have the OS boot to a black screen).
Then I spend the next night/day fixing, reinstalling everything.

This time I was to install a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) on my machine... but I forgot I already installed it. And I decided that I wanted MariaDB instead of MySQL, so I tried to install it, but failed, tried to understand why, failed again (Juventus match was on... I had NO time to read the messages!), so decided to purge MySQL, but forgot that... well... it's a database that KDE uses... sometimes... like... everywhere?!? (More or less)

I wrote "sudo apt-get purge mysql*" and hit Enter (yes... I did this... I really did this... I cannot believe myself!!)... some random lines appeared, I read some and, out of utter stupidity, hit Enter AGAIN! And realized what an idiot I am.

So... obviously my KDE installation has been a little messed up.

I could recuperate something workable doing "sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop", but something was still missing... like the mails?!?

This was yesterday evening... today I decided to do a new installation of Kubuntu 13.10. I use a usb drive, of course, and it took me less than an hour to have everything back.
Format sda1 as ext4 and mount as /.
sda3 is mounted as /Home.

Now I just reinstalled Steam, Skype, Yakuake, Jovie... and everything is up again. The desktop was up from the first restart. Love it!

Next time... don't purge MySQL, please!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Minoici"

"Scarabeo"...

No mistake allowed - Free Solo