What's going on... Unity and Gnome-Shell

Here we are, another month is nearing it's end, another year has come and go (almost) and nothing has changed.

Mean people still are mean, good people find it every day to be good and BS has not yet died (the little dictator of Italy, of course!). Meanwhile Kim Song Il has... and is the world better today? Not sure.

But let's talk about important things.
In the past weeks I've been using Fedora 16 and Gnome-Shell and Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. I like Fedora, it's the other half of Linux world, the one without apt and deb and with rpm... and I missed Software Center. I really don't know if debs are better than rpms or the opposite. The thing I know is that Software Center it's easy, clear and nice to look at (and Synaptic too, easy and clear) while on Fedora there is nothing like it. To look for a package on Fedora you should really want to find it... Synaptic is god compared to YUM (I know, I'm telling this only because I started using Synaptic before...).

Fedora, by the way, it is fast! And Gnome-Shell is really enjoyable after installing gnome-tweak-tool and some extensions:
- dock
- bottom panel
- clock on the right
- applications menu

Still I don't like that much the Fonts... but it's personal.

Then I used Ubuntu with Unity... don't like it. Or better, liked it at the beginning, than started using it and the fanciness went away. I like to customize and I can't... so I installed Gnome-Shell and gnome-tweak-tool and some extensions:
- dock
- bottom panel
- clock on the right
- applications menu

and I started enjoying Ubuntu 11.10 (and I was thinking that after 10.04 and it's end of  cycle I would have switched to another distro!).
I like almost everything... even if it seems to me that Fedora is quicker...

But the way is bright ahead. I still have 5 months of life for my Lynx, and when the Pangolin will come out... hope it will be good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Minoici"

"Scarabeo"...

Ochi kala