Where have all the Ubuntu gone?

After a year of great changes, at least in perspective, it's time for me to think about the future. Also thinking about my first fully operational Ubuntu laptop (this to be said about the MIC issues I've had with the previous Acer 6530, of course, being the only issue in 2 years).


So... no I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and it feels a great distribution. It's usability is high, it's nice and clean and I've got everything I want. I used the 10.10 and it's nice too, but there is nothing there to make me switch there. Only the new Software Center seems a big change and a big deal, but when I'll want it I probably install it in Lucid.
But the thing it's keeping me back with the 10.04 is also the LTS thing. Because Ubuntu is going somewhere where, for now, I don't want to follow and so I'll stick with the old-way Gnome 2 and be happy about it.
In fact Unity and the Gnome Shell are not too intriguing for my thoughts. They are great for a Netbook (maybe) and probably just perfect for the new tablets arriving (and for this I think they are a big move for Canonical, that finally could enter a fresh and almost free market). But I don't like them for the use on a desktop...


It is to be said, also, that with the new Ubuntu's it will be just easy to install the old Gnome DE, like in all linux distributions, but for now I'll stay here. Maybe I'll test some other distribution in the next future, like Mageia, or finally try to install and use Debian, the mother of us all.


So... Ubuntu now, for me, is just perfect. For the future I don't know. I think it is moving straight forward, but probably I'll just follow some step behind and see what it's needed to be seen.
Dopo un anno di grandi cambiamenti, per lo meno in prospettiva, è il momento per me di pensare al futuro. Anche visto il mio primo laptop completamente operativo con Ubuntu (il problema era sempre e solo il microfono interno del mio Acer 6530, unico problema in 2 anni).


Quindi... ora uso Ubuntu 10.04 e mi sembra una grande versione. L'usabilità è alta, è bello e pulito da vedere e ho tutto quello che mi serve. Ho usato la 10.10 e mi sembra bella, ma non c'è niente che mi spinge al cambio. Forse solo il Software Center è un passo avanti, ma quando ne avrò bisogno semplicemente lo installerò in Lucid.
Ma la cosa che mi tiene ancorato alla 10.04 è la possibilità del LTS (Long Term Support). Visto che Ubuntu sta andando dove io non voglio seguirlo, per ora, preferisco rimanere con il vecchio Gnome 2 e essere felice.
Infatti Unity e Gnome Shell non mi intrigano troppo. Sono una grande scelta per i Netbook (forse) e perfetti per i nuovi tablet (e in questo caso penso un'ottima mossa di Canonical, che potrà finalmente entrare in un mercato fresco e per ora libero).
Però non mi piacciono per l'uso su un desktop...


Bisogna in ogni caso dire che con i nuovi Ubuntu sarà possibile cambiare al vecchio Gnome De senza problemi, come con le altre distribuzioni linux, però per ora rimarrò dove sono. Magari proverò qualche altra distribuzione, come Mageia, o finalmente passerò a Debian, la madre di tutti noi.


Quindi... Ubuntu per ora, per me, è semplicemente perfetto. Per il futuro non lo so. Penso si stia muovendo in avanti, ma probabilmente lo seguirò da qualche passo di distanza per vedere cosa succede.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Minoici"

"Scarabeo"...

Ochi kala